SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eat at Joe's. Air Raid at Joe and Kathy's  (Read 10186 times)

buglvw (Howard)

• PLATINUM Member
Re: Eat at Joe's. Air Raid at Joe and Kathy's
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

Address for me too Joe. Maybe the distributor gear on the crankshaft  :confused04:;
If you have to copy at least be original!

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 08:33:52 pm »

I haven't tried a timing light. But, I haven't seen a variation in the spark when I pull each wire out of the cap. I'll try the timing light tomorrow.

My address is 148 McKinley ave Turnersville -However if you use a GPS you may wind up in Runnamede,

Directions are simple- 2 turns and, you can't turn the wrong way.

Get on Rt 42 (same road as Taylor's)-At the Whitman Diner (your GPS will find that) (CVS is on the  other corner. Turn-you can only turn one way,  Your now on Johnson Road

A 100 yards is McKinley - again it goes only one way.

my house is next to the last at the bottom of the dead end hill. . Pine and McKinley. - only house with a porch, brick bottom/white siding. Only house with a Two car garage attached.

Come hungry- Have Breakfast in a scenic old world setting.  eat.gi+] [coffepot)<

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »

FYI

GPS (at least mine) gets it correct when you use McKinley STREET instead of McKinley Avenue.
"Avenue" took me somewhere in Blackwood.
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

VWPANZER1

• Member SJVWC ------- Charter Member-------Past Presidant------- Club Co-Founder
  • Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:26 pm »

Mystery Solved (I hope) Old Blue ran great today; 5000 rpm shifts, went up McKinley streets steep road in 3rd without a hiccup.

What was the cause of all the problems?

In spite of pouring through the Delordo manual, (The Weber book also) to such an extent I can recite whole passages by heart. Not a  a clue in the written word. I even called CB Performance in California-(they still sell  rebuilding kits and parts for Delordo's.) They  recited all the same steps  I had already tried.

Now, I have to go back to last week. I was blowing out the jets, for the umpteenth time and,
 for some unexplained reason, perhaps divine intervention,  I rapped the air cleaner element on the fender of the Beetle- like I expected rocks to fall out? There it was. a sprinkling of fine black pumice all over the baby blue fender. I tapped it again,  more fine pumice.  My heart leaped- That's it!!! It explains everything. But of course I couldn't be sure.

Now ordinary carburetors would not be bothered by this, but not Delordo's. 

The air correction/Main jets and idle jets stick up through the top of the carburetor between the velocity stacks. Which is great, because you don't have to take the carburetor apart to clean all the jet passages. YOU CAN'T RUN THEM WITHOUT AIR CLEANERS- NO  VELOCITY STACKS ONLY.  To clean the entire jetting system- remove the jets and blow compressed air through he jets and the passages.

I found a new air cleaner element in my box of carburetor parts. So while I was waiting for the new one to come in, via Appletree ( only EMPI still makes them)   I removed the top half of the carburetor (easy 5 screws) and cleaned the float bowls and reset the floats to factory specs. The new air cleaner came in today, I blew the passages out one more time and in less than 5 minutes, EUREKA!,  it was running like its' old self- Except the  test drive  revealed another problem, the ... brakes.     

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
  • 1974 Tintop with a nice rack
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 07:14:53 am »

Good job Joe!
 &^beer&
What was the black pumice?
Was it just fine dirt, or was it residue from ethanol eating the inside of the fuel line?
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

VWPANZER1

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 10:31:52 pm »

I should have explained. While the filter element is made up of wire mesh and paper, top and bottom are ringed in semi-soft rubber to seal the filter to the removable top and the base plate that sits on the carburetor.

Now I have no proof, but I suspect the ethanol in our gasoline is the culprit.

There is a condition call reversion. That is when the intake valve closes, the in rushing air/gas mixture stops abruptly and sends a standing wave  back up into the manifold and out the carburetor usually in the form of a mild fog.
At least that's what I read.

The same thing happens in the exhaust system. Except the back wave can carry the gases out. That's why drag races tune the length of there pipes- more HP. It only works at a specific RPM range 

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 08:34:29 am »

So... Dirty Air Cleaner

Isn't that step 1?    #@rofl3
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

VWPANZER1

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 08:58:54 am »

Actually, air cleaners are pristine and can be used on Solex, Mikuni's and some Weber's, any carburetor that doesn't have it's jetting system exposed.   *9rain)

grungeant (Anthony)

• PLATINUM Member
  • 1974 Tintop with a nice rack
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 09:04:20 am »

Hmmm...
That sounds like my air filters, and I have Webers.
"You should remember it's peace of mind you're after, and not just a fixed machine."
Robert Pirsig

dawelder

• GOLD Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »

Need any welding done

VWPANZER1

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 11:43:20 pm »

Oh yeah,  some rust repairs on sheet metal and adding pieces to  torsion bar housing on the Porsche. I have a cross member  for the 23 T hot rod that needs welded plates to the frame so it can be bolted in (removable).

Thanks for the offer.  :jump4jo": 

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 08:20:41 am »

I'm putting my quarter on the Porsche pinball machine
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up