SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This should be standard in all cars right now.  (Read 7693 times)

06APRB6

This should be standard in all cars right now.
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=203677054&c=

I know it can be a heated argument but cell phone use in cars distracts everyone.
There should just be a signal blocker installed so that no cell phone will work inside the vehicle. I love the breathalyzer ignition switch and I think that would be an amazing implementation on all vehicles. To be able to measure BAC with something in the steering wheel.

Now that I am a parent, road hazards and other dangerous everyday things have stood out much more. The cell phone signal blocker would work because it would work all the time. The breathalyzer is easily fooled with a sober passenger or someone willing to blow into it. I think that there should be a steering wheel with small sensors kinda like on a treadmill to measure BAC. This would prevent any getting around the system or at least make it even harder if it monitors constantly. It wouldn't really be seen like the dash mounted breathalyzer.

What do you all think?

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
Re: This should be standard in all cars right now.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »

I disagree with ANYTHING that is mandated. The price of cars are ridiculous because of air bags, 5 mph bumpers, ABS, Traction Control, crumple zones, fuel economy, padded dashes and all the other crap the government requires. If it weren't for them trying to "keep us safe" you could still buy a VW Beetle (a perfectly good automobile) & for about 6 grand...  just my  2@cent
The VWs you can sleep in are more gooder

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

Bob(Herbie)

• Bob(Herbie)
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Herby
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:34:23 am »

Give that man a soapbox !!!! I agree completely. Those are the reasons many cars from other countries are not imported to the US.
46 years later and I am back to a '63 Rag named Herby
 '56 Oval Nigel  '53 Zwitter Project Stanley 
 Dalton said "Opinions Vary"

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:05:27 am »

I disagree with ANYTHING that is mandated. The price of cars are ridiculous because of air bags, 5 mph bumpers, ABS, Traction Control, crumple zones, fuel economy, padded dashes and all the other crap the government requires. If it weren't for them trying to "keep us safe" you could still buy a VW Beetle (a perfectly good automobile) & for about 6 grand...  just my  2@cent

@%soapbox I understand your reluctance to except Government mandates and sticking their noses into everything but everything you have mentioned above has saved countless lives and disabilities. When you consider the US Motor vehicle deaths are the highest in the world I'm all for safety requirements for our cars. The life they save may be your own.  

I also agree with 06APRB6.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:21 am »

this is tough to say but I'm with 06APR

I dont drink and drive so I dont have to worry. I hate seeing people talk on a cell phone while they are driving near me (although I am guilty of it). I would accept the restrictions although I am with you shawn, the added costs would suck.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:57:58 am »

Now to jump on my @%soapbox

This type of regulation far exceeds the powers granted to federal government by the constitution, but snice "We the people" for the most part are a bunch of lazy couch potatoes they get away with it.

IMHO It is a parents job to teach their kids to not be stupid, and not drink and drive or text and drive, or pull their pants up, not eat with their feet,  not their government.   To quote a president I was not a fan of:

"man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts." ~ Ronald Reagan

I think both are great products that should be an option on all cars not required as standard features.  

We the people need to accept the fact that there are inherent risks living in a free country.  

Keep in mind the same logic used by the government to force airbags, and anti lock brakes (not that either is a really bad thing) on us all could be used to remove all older cars from the road...

end rant  %$oldcit

Wow, yea I know, I'm using the double barrel shotgun this morning  #@rofl3
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:33:47 am by 3Gear »
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

rockdog2877

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:33:57 am »

the product listed only works with smartfones, and I could see the kids it is intending to stop, finding a cleaver way around it....( skype or something) ((or just unplug the thing....))
I think it would be easier to teach safety. you dont't have to worry about the goverment doing something like this...the phone co wont have it....
they tried the same thing for movie theaters....

Bob(Herbie)

• Bob(Herbie)
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Herby
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:24:23 am »

Unfortunately, humans don't need a license, permit or any other requirement to propagate or be a parent. As a former teacher (32) years, I could tell you about many young people raising themselves. One in particular I remember was a senior male sleeping in a dumpster near the school because he wanted to finish HS and graduate. His mom had shacked up with some other man and that man didn't want her son in his house! I couldn't treat my worst enemy that way, let alone my own flesh and blood. You wonder why kids look to gangs or act out or get in trouble or don't know how to act. We need to have good, honest, loving parenting!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not baby making !!!!!!!!!!!!!
End of rant?
46 years later and I am back to a '63 Rag named Herby
 '56 Oval Nigel  '53 Zwitter Project Stanley 
 Dalton said "Opinions Vary"

3Gear

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:39:37 am »

Unfortunately, humans don't need a license, permit or any other requirement to propagate or be a parent. As a former teacher (32) years, I could tell you about many young people raising themselves. One in particular I remember was a senior male sleeping in a dumpster near the school because he wanted to finish HS and graduate. His mom had shacked up with some other man and that man didn't want her son in his house! I couldn't treat my worst enemy that way, let alone my own flesh and blood. You wonder why kids look to gangs or act out or get in trouble or don't know how to act. We need to have good, honest, loving parenting!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not baby making !!!!!!!!!!!!!
End of rant?

We need a like button just like facebook!!   clap2-*
1985 Westfalia Millie

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

rich67vw

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

I'm envisioning a hands-free SJVWC Mug for those with safety concerns....

Celly

• Charter Member
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SJVWC
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:14:43 pm »

An SJVWC mug with a very big Straw! &^rofl

This type of regulation far exceeds the powers granted to federal government by the constitution

IMHO It is a parents job to teach their kids to not be stupid, and not drink and drive or text and drive, or pull their pants up, not eat with their feet,  not their government.   

"man is not free unless government is limited. There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts." ~ Ronald Reagan

We the people need to accept the fact that there are inherent risks living in a free country. 

AMEN Brother! clap2-* clap2-* clap2-*
There are two things in ordinary conversation which ordinary people dislike - information and wit.

It\'s not a car, it\'s not a van, its a BUS!

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:37:33 pm »

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, The kind that can count and the kind that can't.

06APRB6

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 07:39:16 pm »

Good points all around. I was rear ended by a women who was on the phone and did not get off the phone until the NJ state trooper told her to get off. And I have been hit by a drunk driver. I was parked in a parking lot and he backed into the driver door of my 1982 Chevy S-10 sending me into the passenger side and my head through the window.

Freedom is important and it seems like our vehicles are heavily regulated. I am in the middle really. I think some is good (seatbelts) and some are bad (window tint). I don't think there will be a day where the government decides to mandate all older cars off the road but we may get to a point with the price of fuel where it could faze out a lot of vehicles. If this "peak oil" theory holds true, I hope I am not around to see it.

I love history but the future both excites me and terrifies me at the same time.

-Cory

Baha (Shawn)

• Club Vice President
  • PLATINUM Member
  • SYNCRO HiTop----K2SMD
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:02 pm »

Freedom is important and it seems like our vehicles are heavily regulated. I am in the middle really. I think some is good (seatbelts) and some are bad (window tint). I don't think there will be a day where the government decides to mandate all older cars off the road but we may get to a point with the price of fuel where it could faze out a lot of vehicles. If this "peak oil" theory holds true, I hope I am not around to see it.

I love history but the future both excites me and terrifies me at the same time.

-Cory

Very well put

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 07:50:08 am »

This type of regulation far exceeds the powers granted to federal government by the constitution, but snice "We the people" for the most part are a bunch of lazy couch potatoes they get away with it.

In a nutshell Marc and all points well taken guys.

You always see where small groups get laws and other things passed because they are so vocal and the Silent Majority stays silent.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up