SJVWC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your VW today?  (Read 735209 times)

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
Re: What did you do to your VW today?
« Reply #2625 on: November 05, 2019, 11:01:41 am »

\LIKE= All good points John. I never liked to have a maintenance charge on my cars because I fear a fire  because of how hot such chargers get.

I like to start my cars and run them till the oil  gets hot, this will evaporate any condensation  and keep the seals from drying out also  keeping  The Battery charged.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2626 on: November 05, 2019, 11:09:57 am »

That reminds me. Bob used to tell me to put dry gas in my tank at winter time. I had an issue when I first got the car with rust holes in the bottom neck of the tank. He said it?s because The water is heavier than the gas and it sits in the neck causing rust. Does Stabil do the same or should I try to find the dry gas?
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

lovebus (jack)

• Club Co-Founder, Member SJVWCC
  • Web Site Administrator
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Happy Trails Vanagon, AB2W
    • SJVWC Charter Member
« Reply #2627 on: November 05, 2019, 01:27:12 pm »

Definitely use Dri-gas  But, make sure it says "Removes water" on the jar...
There is also a product called dry Gas that don't remove water its just a gas line Anti freeze.
I don't have to go to work in the morning....

RT 66 June 1, 2015

"Why restore it to its former short comings
When you can modify it too its full potential."

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #2628 on: November 05, 2019, 01:56:38 pm »

. Also, don't leave the battery on the floor for charging. too cold. Leave it on a shelf.

good reminder, thanks
1955 3-fold semaphore Oval beetle
1971 Convertible beetle
1977 Westfalia, FI,  Berlin interior

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2629 on: November 06, 2019, 07:03:49 pm »

Please read this. I think you'll find it interesting and informative.

old-\

https://northeastbattery.com/do-cement-floors-ruin-car-batteries/
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

6T5 square

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2630 on: March 14, 2020, 11:24:20 am »

Wow- beautiful day to be out working on your car- doing my spring tune up.
John
60 Beetle- Ned
65 1500S Squareback-Weezer gone but not forgotten
2014 Jetta
Dont know everything but I'll try and learn
Friends don't let friends drive 6 volts
Obnoxious objector??

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #2631 on: March 15, 2020, 09:20:17 am »

Last week when the weather was good, went to the doctors with John Doe.
Took Bob out for a drive in the country also.
Took Gus the bus out for a short drive around the block as he has some issues, and mostly is in time-out

Whever the weather is nice and roads are dry and salt free, I take one of them out. Good to exercise them, clear out their windpipes
1971 Convertible beetle

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.?
― G. Michael Hopf

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2632 on: March 15, 2020, 05:01:17 pm »

Finally got around to installing and tuning Monty's new carburetor. No more gas fumes in the cabin or under the deck lid!
Took him out for a drive and he runs perfectly.
Today was a perfect day for a drive.
 We'll see how he likes the summer temps in a few months.
He should have a complete tune up and oil change, but that'll have to wait for another day.
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

Gunterwagen (Nick C.)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2633 on: March 15, 2020, 05:27:48 pm »

I did some things today too. Just some rust removal from the bumper, cleaned off the burn marks from the fire i had a few years ago, and properly fixed the air filter. It was on backwards and the crankcase ventilation hose was off.
Could be better, could be worse, could be in a hearse.

matt

• PLATINUM Member
  • Member SJVWC
« Reply #2634 on: March 15, 2020, 05:39:12 pm »

Hi Rich,
Cant believe I am the first one to say this, but you have to move that fuel filter out of the engine compartment... can put it under the gas tank or attached to a line under the car. I have one in each spot in Bob, in fact. No Fires!   *angel#
Engine looks good othewise
1971 Convertible beetle

― G. Michael Hopf

Bob(Herbie)

• Bob(Herbie)
  • PLATINUM Member
  • Herby
« Reply #2635 on: March 15, 2020, 05:45:01 pm »

Glass filter is much safer than the plastic unit. Especially under the deck lid. A good read about this on the Samba forums!
46 years later and I am back to a '63 Rag named Herby
 '56 Oval Nigel  '53 Zwitter Project Stanley 
 Dalton said "Opinions Vary"

Gunterwagen (Nick C.)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2636 on: March 16, 2020, 04:21:11 am »

I have to agree with Matt and Bob. My suggestion would be to install it under the tank or next to the trans. Theres a company that makes a filter mount that mounts it to the trans. After the fire that I had, I don?t trust any filter to be in the engine compartment. I was very lucky because the filter was plastic and it melted inside the fuel line. It essentially capped the gas from just pouring in.

I?d rather have gas going down the driveway or street, rather than on the engine, coil, distributor, etc. Something to think about.

https://www.pandraggers.com/product-page/pandraggers-fuel-filter

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2637 on: June 25, 2020, 02:45:26 am »

Finally had a good day a couple of weeks ago and decided to take Monty out for a drive. I was anticipating an uneventful trip because the new carburetor had performed so well on its first test drive after installing and tuning it. But, no, it was running like crap. Could hardly keep the engine running.

Checking the fuel filter showed it to be virtually empty. Revving the engine produced a small trickle of fuel into the filter, but it should have been more. Bad fuel pump? Filter looked clean. Float valve stuck? What's the easiest thing to check -- fuel filter. Haven't changed it since the car was restored. Yeah, yeah. I know. Changed the filter and started the engine. Still ran like crap and died when I released the throttle. Then I remembered I've also got a filter up front at the tank outlet which can't be seen, let alone changed, without taking the right front wheel off.

So up goes the car, off comes the wheel and there is a clear plastic filter with an absolutely black filter element. Changed that filter, started the car and voila~ Monty is running like a champ again. Both filters full of fuel and engine running smooth as silk. Lesson learned... so I decided to change the engine oil, too. After all, it's only been about, well, since the break-in oil was changed. Draining the oil did show it to look almost new. It still had a translucent green sheen to it. But, I'll start being more diligent about that stuff.

Guess I need to change the gearbox lube next, and see if I can find my grease gun...
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)

Gunterwagen (Nick C.)

• PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2638 on: June 25, 2020, 05:38:26 am »

Hi Rich, I?m glad that you figured out what the issue was and your ?64 is back in the road again. Now you just need a cruise to go on! Just make sure you change your fuel lines. I?m hearing that even 30R7 is starting not to hold up after 2 years of use.

Richard

• Global Moderator
  • PLATINUM Member
« Reply #2639 on: June 25, 2020, 01:25:46 pm »

Hey Nick,
Thanks.
Yeah, it's the small things that often wind up kicking you in the $$S!!

I originally used the 30R7 but immediately switched to using 30R6, which has the same EtOH resistance as the 30R7 but is for use in low pressure fuel systems like early Beatles. The 30R7 is designed for fuel injection systems which operate at much higher pressures. My carburetor runs best at 2.5psi. Anything much over 3.5 psi will push the float valve off of its seat and flood the carb. Fuel injection in my son's Miata ran psi's in the high 50's to low 60's.

When we were finishing the build on the engine I was using a rebuilt fuel pump, even though the old one had no problems. Every time we started the engine the carb would start spitting raw fuel out of the top. We tried everything to solve the problem. I finally spliced a fuel pressure gauge into the line between the pump and the carb --- 10psi !!! We swapped out the rebuilt pump for the original (putting out a steady 3.0 psi) and the problem was solved. Sorry, got off the track a bit...

Anyway, I also found that the 30R7 was a bit stiffer than the 30R6 and I had problems getting the hose clamps to squeeze the hose tight enough. I have 5mm fittings and steel lines in the Beetle but could only find 1/4" hose, so the fit was a bit on the loose side. Using the 30R6 solved that problem. I did check the hoses when changing the filters and they are all still in great condition. Flexible, no swelling, no cracking, no "dry rot" appearance at the ends, so I think they are fine for now. Maybe next spring I'll put changing them onto my service list. Maybe by then I'll be able to find this type of hose in 5mm. I'd love to find some braided German hose that's EtOH rated. Wasn't to be found when I was doing the restoration.

Take care. Stay safe.
Zoom Zoom...   ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179   Go Up